There is all together too much hatred in the world today. Honestly, it scares me. It feels so irrational and I have a hard time relating because I cannot remember hating a person or “a people” in my life.
So today, I was brainstorming with myself on how to spread a little more kindness and I thought I would share my ideas with you. Please feel free to add to the list.
- Thank someone who doesn’t expect it. There are all kinds of thankless jobs out there and even thankless tasks. Pick one and make a point to show appreciation for a job well done that might get taken for granted. Be explicit in your thanks—just how did that person make an impact on you or someone else?
- Smile more. Try to be more conscious of your facial expression, especially when you look at others. And make eye contact. You never know—you may be the only connection someone has today to the outside world. Let them know you see them.
- Do something random that will help or lift another person, whether they know it or not. Buy a cup of coffee for someone working outdoors, help an older person carry their groceries or cross the street, make extra food and bring some to a busy neighbor. Leave a bigger tip or give your change to the next person in line.
- Give away some of the “too many clothes” in your closet – to a homeless shelter, the veterans, or any other charity that is looking to clothe the less fortunate people in the world. Think especially of the cold weather ahead and how much a sweater, pair of socks or warm coat can mean to someone who doesn’t have them.
- Call a friend or family member “just because.” Let them know you were thinking about them and that you are happy they are part of your life. You can even email or text this message, along with a few hearts and smiley faces.
- Write a testimonial on LinkedIn, a book review on Amazon, a review on Trip Advisor or Yelp. These are especially appreciated by small operators that depend on positive word of mouth to survive and grow.
- Take some time for you. A walk in the woods, a warm bath, a cup of tea and time to sit and think, read, or just to be inspired by the world around you. After all, you count as someone who deserves a little more kindness, right?
Imagine picking one thing every day that demonstrates more kindness in the world. I am challenging myself to do just that for the next 30 days. Having done this before, I can tell you the rewards are way more than you think.
This is the perfect season to spread a little kindness. Will you join me?